Kraft Kosher

Thursday, January 27, 2005

Tzitzis

One of the things that I compromise on at work is my Tzitzis strings. Usually, I pull the strings out from beneath my shirt at each of their four corners and let them hang loose where they can be seen. This is the essential Mitzvah, commandment, of the Tzitzis, to be seen and serve as a visual reminder of all of Gd's commandments. But at work this comes across as too sloppy. (I guess you could ask the question of whether this is real or just perception.) So I bring them out together only on the two sides, tuck them under my belt, and stick the remainging exposed portion into my front pockets. So technically they are still sticking out where they can be seen. But they are much cleaner looking. It may be a nice look, but the inconsistency still bothers me. But haven't had any comments about them yet...

4 Comments:

  • Do you wear a kippa at work? -- Marcus J.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:17 AM  

  • I don't think what you are doing is wrong. It is not motivated by a concern with conforming.
    Still, if someone were to suggest that I trim my tzitzis so they look more tidy, I would feel that would be like suggesting I wear one of those microscopic disks that some guys wear in place of a kippah.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:32 PM  

  • There are guys who wear a kippah but no tzitzis (or they tuck) but I have never seen someone with tzitzis and no kippah. You can have a lampshade with a fringe but not a fringe without a lampshade.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:35 PM  

  • I should say that the guys who tuck may do so because that is their minhag. I have met guys who know a 100 times what I do.

    I wouldn't tuck because I hold with you that they are meant to be seen.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home