Kraft Kosher

Thursday, January 20, 2005

Avoiding the Group

Today was Thursday. Which means Bible Study day in our group. The woman who trains me arranges for a preacher to come in and give a class on the bible. Most of the people in the group go. But there are Halachic problems with me going. It would be interesting to hear what they have to say. And I don't think there would be any problems with me sitting and listening in. But I do know it is forbidden to teach a non-jew torah, specifically the bible. So as soon as they ask me what Judaism has to say on a topic, I'd be in violation.

Of course, there is also the problem of my ignorance. I don't know the literal or figurative interpretations of every part of the bible. So I'd be left in a position where my ignorance signals emptiness on the part of my religion, or worse, weakness. So I'm not going to let my poor showing be, well, a poor showing for Judaism. So I'll just have a quiet lunch at my desk...and keep avoiding the invitation every week.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home