Kraft Kosher

Friday, March 31, 2006

Bar Fly?

Dilemma yesterday. There was a social function for our department in a bar after work. It was clearly optional, clearly not work related, so I didn't have to go. However, the representative council of our department was having elections at the event, and I was running. If I didn't go, I couldn't win.

Let me give some background. I don't think going into a bar is assur, forbidden for a Jew. It's not like going into a non-Kosher restaurant, where your presence might imply that the food is kosher when it is not, as most alcoholic beverages are indeed kosher. However, I do think that patronizing bars is antithetical to a frum Jewish lifestyle. We believe that our lives have a purpose, an ever rising path towards meeting our Creator. Bars are the perfect example of ignoring that higher call - Killing time finding joy in the drink, to forget the potential that you are not acheiving. Also, drunkenness and the removing inhibitions conflicts with my understanding that a person's character should always be consistent. You shouldn't require inebriation to act correctly, and you shouldn't use your tipsiness as your excuse to escape appropriateness.

That all being said, I went to the event. No word yet on the election. Needless to say I was uncomfortable. I didn't drink anything, and made a point of it. However, the greater question was, maybe I should have just stayed home. I didn't need to run for election to any positions. But this runs contrary to my philosophy that a frum Jew need not hide in Kollel in Jerusalem to fullfill his spiritual destiny. But where is that line? I've always maintained that you can go out into any situation, and as long as you are armed with your ideals, you can thrive no matter how dispersed you are in a world of other values. But a bar?

9 Comments:

  • You might not believe this, but I first discovered the existance of the Almighty in a bar. You know, He really is everywhere.

    By Blogger Erica, at 10:41 PM  

  • E - I don't deny that Gd is everywhere, but that doesn't mean that we should go everywhere to find Him. Some places are more likely than others, and we have to be honest about the purpose of our visits- because Gd can be found in a brothel, but that doesn't mean we won't get VD.

    JT - It's tough, weighing the balance between work and pleasure. I'm comfortable doing it as part of work. But I don't want to cross the line of making a bar a place I'd spend my free time. So if I'm dragged there, I'll go. But I'm not arranging that party, and I'm out as soon as I can. And yeah, I won't be drinking.

    By Blogger Josh, at 6:06 PM  

  • What can I say? I work in a shomer shabbos bank! But I'll go for a beer now and again. I don't need alcohol to whatever, it's just enjoyable to go out with friends and it's just one more place to do it. I won't usually go to those seedy bars, I'll go somewhere classy, like Hooters.

    By Blogger Düdie, at 9:31 AM  

  • Duds - We all have our comfort level. Almost always, working in a non-Yeshiva environment will force you to make choices. But not every corporate luncheon can be relocated to Penthouse. We don't all work in Brooklyn.

    By Blogger Josh, at 10:02 PM  

  • I work in Manhattan in the financial district...shomer shabbos bank anyways. :-)

    By Blogger Düdie, at 11:31 AM  

  • D - Yawn. So easy...

    By Blogger Josh, at 3:49 PM  

  • Living in amherst, where going out is virtually impossible and the entire town turns into one big bar at night, we find it hard to keep it up, as we dont drink really. But we have found one bar out of the many around here, which is a nice atmosphere, you can hear the person next to you, you can breathe/want to breathe in the air there. Versus other places. So we occasionally go, and it is actually nice and a lot of fun. I mean, there are TVs and ping pong and pool, and we can catch up. Yea. 2 cents for the day. oh, btw, i JUST found out this blog existed.

    By Blogger Carla, at 1:30 PM  

  • Carla - It's interesting, because some bars feel a lot more like drunkard's paradise, while some are just quite lounges with alcohol on the menu. I guess you can't write them all of with a stroke. It really depends on the environment inside. I wouldn't worry - the pace on this blog should make it pretty easy to keep up with.

    By Blogger Josh, at 10:30 PM  

  • You are a dud. I hope your career at "K"raft leads to dismay and ruin. You are on a very dangerous path.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home