Kraft Kosher

Thursday, December 08, 2005

A Hairy Beast?

Getting ready for work the other day, I scenario I had been dreading for awhile finally hit the surface. Every day I spend about half an hour grooming in order to keep my beard and payos reasonably kept. As annoying as it is, the results are very professional (at least compared to my full-on Jew look). However, as I was cleaning up, I noticed that my beard has finally gotten to a length that makes it difficult to clean up. I roll my beard from my chin towards my ears, and the length has finally gotten such that it has started to go past my ears. I don't think this will work much longer.

Some additional background. I know it's not a Halachic requirement to never shave. But I do know that it is a Halachic preference. I see no reason to shave if I don't have to, but Parnassa (making a living) would definitely fall under the category of "do it if you have to." After going on numerous unsuccessful interviews, I trimmed my beard before interviewing with the company I now work for. However, after finding out on my first day that my boss had a full bead, albeit short, I was determined not to have to shave again for this job. And I haven't for the just over a year that I've been here.

But the question now begs, how long can I pass for corporate?

7 Comments:

  • Just out of curiosity, how does one get a beard to stay??? bobby pins???

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:08 AM  

  • Nope - All natural. I roll it up after I shower. Basically, starting at my chin, I part my beard. Then I roll it up working towards my ear. Surprisingly, this works fairly well. It takes way to much time though. And the particular concern mentioned in the post is that as my beard length grows longer than the distance from my chin to my ear, there will be no way to roll it up!

    By Blogger Josh, at 8:39 PM  

  • Ok, so aside from shving, which i get the reasons not to, how about trimming....this is a respectable answer to your dilema i think.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:54 AM  

  • So trimming is my next resort. Obviously, in the land of halacha, there is a distinction between not trimming at all, trimming, shaving with an electric trimmer, and shaving with a razor. I'd like to live on the highest level possible. I don't like the idea that Rabbonim should have long beards but working Jews should have shorter or none at all. I think that Judaism obligates every body just the same. If I accept the idea that my scenario allows me to adhere to more lenient rules, than I perpetuate the myth that the only way to live in holiness is to separate from the world. And this implicitly rejects the ability of the non-secluded person from reaching a level of holiness.

    By Blogger Josh, at 8:46 PM  

  • I am now interviewing for a new professional position and this post is very timely. I once worked in a federal prison where I did not wear my Yarmulke, but after a while I started to wear it and found that there was no difference. But in terms of a beard, I think it looks more professional when you are at least clean looking.

    By Blogger Hai Anav VTzaddik, at 10:22 PM  

  • "Every day I spend about half an hour grooming in order to keep my beard and payos reasonably kept."

    Perhaps you could be learning? Hmm.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:34 PM  

  • Actually, I check my email while I play with my hair. But the Bittul Zman question is still relevant. I just have to determine when the costs outweigh the benefits, on G-d's scale.

    By Blogger Josh, at 5:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home