Kraft Kosher

Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Daylight Savings Time

Daylight Savings Time may be great for farmers, but it sure makes it hard to work and pray. When it doesn't get light until 7 am and is dark by 4 pm, you really have to squeeze in morning and afternoon prayers.

I try and pray in the morning after sunrise (the optimal time, as opposed to before sunrise), which really squeezes out all the flexibility I had before, since their is only one service in my area that meets this criteria. So much for breakfast.

And afternoons are worse. With services at 4:15 and getting earlier, I can't win. Sure, work is flexible. I theoretically can come in early (which conflicts with the previous paragraph), but that exposes me to being the "slacker" heading out early in the eyes of my coworkers, and sometimes it's just not realistic. There is a service at another office about 10 minutes away at 1 pm. That's actually proven quite good. I make the quick lunch escape, and I can stay as late as I need to. Which only leaves me working longer hours...

1 Comments:

  • Thanks Erica. I could go back to work, but after davening at 4, going back at 4:45 just doesn't really excite me. I usually don't have that much to do. It really does come down to perception, that I'm "quitting" early. I spoke to another friend who I have run into at early mincha, and he echoed the same thing. When he runs out at 4, people assume he's heading out early, even if he does come back, but when he goes to Mincha at 1, they just assume he's going to lunch.

    By Blogger Josh, at 9:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home