Kraft Kosher

Tuesday, December 27, 2005

The Bitter Season

I hate this time of year. Something about being wished a "Happy Chanukah" just turns my smile upside-down. I'm sure they mean well, but do they realize the implication of what they are saying? Just because you have a holiday that you care about, doesn't mean that my holiday is like yours. Whether it's because they are "sharing the cheer" or they've just been led to believe by all the commercials that everyone is celebrating their highest holidays now, the ignorance just bothers me.

I took ten days off for my holidays this year, and the only wishes I got were to make sure I had coverage for my work before I left. For their holidays, the whole company shuts down, has numerous parties, and has early dismissal. But when I leave before sundown, I'm viewed as a quitter.

Multiculturalism has a long way to go. These people have no idea how much they string me up. The schedule is so ingrained in their holidays, that they don't even notice the difficulties I have in celebrating mine.

So am I wrong taking offense at all their "shared" merriment?

6 Comments:

  • PC - But then what would I blog about? Although it seems that I've been in a more confrontational mood lately, blogging aside.

    Marc - I like your twist - You know shove it back in their face...

    By Blogger Josh, at 9:15 PM  

  • Would knowing that you're not alone take the edge off?
    I miss you man ... but still you have my blessings to stay in Israel forever. Hope you're having a great time.

    By Blogger Erica, at 7:46 PM  

  • E - I'm not really bitter. Obviously, there are plenty of people not celebrating with the majority. I just don't like being treated, not as a minority, but as a persona non grata. They should at least be aware that not everybody is with them.

    By Blogger Josh, at 6:50 PM  

  • A lot of non-religious Jews celebrate Hanukkah more seriously than they would if they didn't live in a place where Christmas was such a big deal culturally. That's probably why a lot of gentiles go out of their way to say "Happy Holidays" to people, Jews and gentiles alike. The end of year holidays (Christmas, Hanukkah and New Year's) are a time in the USA when most people are doing some sort of celebrating. Religiously, Easter is a more important Christian holiday, yet people aren't walking around saying "Happy Easter" to strangers nearly as much as they say "Happy Holidays" at the end of the year.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:36 PM  

  • So my point is, above, I wouldn't spend too much emotional energy getting bent out of shape over the "Happy Holidays" thing. If you live in the US, most people assume you might be celebrating one of the three, and it's not the biggest sin in the world to have wished someone well. If you're willing to go out of the way to make sure you acknowledge the important holidays of Wiccan's and Haitian Voduns, maybe I'd cut you some slack...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:39 PM  

  • Anon - You're point that it simply reflects a least common denominator is a good point. I should be looking for things I have in common with different people, not things that distinguish us. Thanks!

    By Blogger Josh, at 8:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home