Kraft Kosher

Sunday, May 08, 2005

Kosher Medicine

I've been sick for about a month now, with coughing, runny nose, and other basic symptoms. Just the stuff that drives the people that have to deal with your germs in an enclosed space on a regular basis crazy. I'm taking some pills, and one of my co-workers asked me what medicines I can take. Slow and confused as usual, I wasn't sure what she was referring to; I'm not good at taking any pills. She clarified, and asked if certain name brand pharmaceuticals weren't kosher. It happens that I had just read an article about this subject the day before by chance. Otherwise, I would have stuttered an incomprehensible response more than I did. Basically, all medicines are Kosher for consumption, regardless of ingredients. The laws of kosher only apply to foods, of which medicine is not included. That is why there is no blessing over medicine. Generally, food is considered that which nourishes. Medicine heals, not nourishes; it is for restoring the body to normal health, not a requisite for maintaining it. Therefore all is allowed. And I can go along sniffling.

1 Comments:

  • To the best of knowledge I believe Tylenol, Ibuprofen, etc. in geltab form are assur precisely because they contain gelatin. Vitamins must have a hechsheir too, so I'm not really sure what you're talking about. Please inform.

    By Blogger WillWorkForFood, at 8:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home