Kraft Kosher

Wednesday, March 16, 2005

Looking busy?

I had an interesting discussion tonight about wasting time at work. Mainly, this discussion focused around using the internet for personal use. We basically eliminated this being halachicly problematic (excluding any questions of whether the internet itself is halachicly problematic). It shouldn't be considered stealing, since 1) the cost of using the internet is less than any measurable amount, and 2) I wouldn't be stealing time from the company, assuming I only used it when I had no other assignment to accomplish (which is a large part of the day). Since they pay me to sit there all day and to do certain tasks, when I have completed my taks, I theoretically am being asked just to sit there and be available when more come around. In the meantime, I could twiddle my thumbs, or in this instance, use the internet.

Of course, we concluded that the problem of using the internet isn't actual. It's purely image based. If anyone would see me using the internet frequently, they would assume that I'm either A) a slacker, or B) do irrelevant tasks and am therefore at a dead end. So I guess I have to steer clear. And find some new clandestine office hobbies. Like looking elsewhere for openings...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home