Kraft Kosher

Monday, July 18, 2005

Shomer Negiah

One inevitablity in the business world will be that you will be in a group, introduced to some new people, and each one will stick out their hand to you in turn. And at least one of them will be a woman. In Jewish Law, physical touch between the sexes is forbidden. There are exceptions and there are loopholes, but living in a society where casual touching is the norm, and equality between the sexes the expectation, it is hard to be a religious Jew in an environment where business relationships are at stake. I will not explore the underpinnings of this Jewish Law, just it's application.

Ideally, I would avoid all physical contact. But in reality, there is often little time to make a decision between being introduced to some business woman and having her hand thrust towards you. There are a number of ways you could react in this situation. You could ignore the hand, and risk whatever reaction this might create. You could limply extend your hand to meet hers in lifeless defeat. You could stop the introductions and explain your religious restrictions and your reasons for restraining from meeting hands. Or you could run away. None of the above are that easy.

For the official record, I heard directly from HaRav Chaim Pinchas Sheinberg, Sh"lita, during a public appearance in Chicago, say that one should not shake hands, and if he can't get out of it, he should fake a sneeze into his hand, and thereby apologetically refrain from meeting her hand without having to engage in any embarassing situation. That was his Psak/Eitzah. I happen to also be of the opinion that actually explaining your concerns to the person, either at the moment or after the fact, actually generates a tremendous amount of respect in most people, and it will, in addition to creating a Kiddush Hashem, sanctification of Gd's name, relieve you from having to face the dilemma with that person in the future.

But in most cases, you don't have enough time to enter a lengthy discussion. Nor do you necessarily have the capability of gauging whether your response will be favorably received or simply scoffed at. The last factor left is simply understanding a person's feelings. If you can't explain your reason for holding back from physical contact, the person may be insulted. I wouldn't want to hurt another person's feelings. So my default position has always been if you can't completely avoid the contact situation or explain it, best to just shake hands and rely on the opinions that allow it. I don't extend my hand first, and I try and avoid shaking (say by standing opposite a table from women I may be introduced to), but when push comes to shove, I don't want to be the one doing the shoving. Just a little physical contact is more than enough.

4 Comments:

  • Hand shaking is no problem if you never doit, instead try a short bow of the head to all parties, as the japanese do.

    My problem is that i handle a lot of money in the course of the day, and of course, people want to put change right in your hand or expect you to do the same, i think i just might start wearing gloves

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:02 PM  

  • Anon 1 - Clever solutions. It's hard to come up with a way to be Mekadesh Shem Shamayim when an interaction with a person may only be a few seconds long.

    Anon 2 - The only problem with your logic is that this Halacha isn't meant to separate the Jews from the Non-Jews. It's not like I'm complaining about the rules of Bishul Akum getting in the way of my business meetings. The negiah question is purely a question of Arayos. And I also don't think that "filthy goyim" is an accurate portrayal of Halachas view of non-Jews.

    By Blogger Josh, at 11:28 PM  

  • At work, I will explain to a vendor that I am an orthodox Jew and married (the latter seems to make more sense to them), and I don't shake hands with women. Since the vendor is there for our business, they accept this without a complaint. Within the organization, I have been told by my boss to shake hands or face possible sexual discrimination charges. His girlfriend is in Human Resources, and has assured him that shaking some hands and not others based on gender is grounds for a lawsuit.

    I recall reading of one rabbi who wore gloves (leather gloves, I assume) so that if he were pushed into a situation where he felt forced to shake a woman's hand, he could do so with less sense of transgression.

    I do kiss and embrace my great aunts, some of whom are not blood relatives, since they are in their 80s and 90s, and well past child bearing. I realize that halacha prohibits this as well, and some would probably understand if I explained why I have decided to limit my physical contact.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:45 PM  

  • I know this is an old post, but if you are still at this blog can you please direct me to any opinions that allow it in cases of necessity? You referred to trying not to but relying when necessary on the opinions that allow it.

    I would really appreciate it.

    Thank you.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 5:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home